Skip to main content

#Backtoschoolsweatercal

This post is part of the Back to School Sweater blog hop and CAL. You can find last week's Blog post by Tamara Gooderham here. The next stop on the blog hop will be by Helen Eccles on 9th September, who will be talking about Yarn choice, inc. substitution, drape, cost, climate yarnsub.com including caution. For more details of the CAL visit the Crochet Circle podcast group on Ravelry.

Crochet Garments

Having read Tamara's previous blog, I have to hold my hand up and say "Yes, I have enough crochet shawls." We all do.  There are so many fabulous garments to be made and we do not need to be afraid of them.  I started out with a simple stripy top from a crochet magazine - it wasn't too scary, and actually, I wear it a lot.  Crochet garments do not have to be complicated masterpieces that include every stitch combination going.  I have included below all of the crochet garments that I have made for myself, starting out with simple patterns, and getting more complex as my confidence has grown. 

Current trends

I am not a trend setter by any means.  If I was, and I followed the catwalk style, then my wardrobe would be full of Saint Laurent, Paco Rabanne, Isabel Marant and D&G to name but a few. I'm not.  In fact, when I told my husband that I was writing this section of the blog hop, he laughed and said "You're not trendy!"  For this blog, I have done a bit of research into current trends in the fashion world and I have dug up the following that could be applied to your chosen pattern:

  • Sparkle - maybe a metallic threaded yarn or a shimmery number.
  • Blue - muted blues are always popular for the cooler months.
  • Belts - return of the waist - apply this to a long cardi or tunic style sweater.
  • 70's is back! - go raid those vintage patterns!!
  • Soft leather - perhaps a leather or suede accent to your finished garment.

Choosing a style to suit you

I have made epic fails in the past where I have looked at a garment on a model, made it, and been utterly horrified by the result when I try it on.  We've all been there - or maybe you haven't if you have never ventured into the world of garment making.  No matter what our shape and size, there is a style to suit us.  Truthfully, I am a curvy size 16-18 UK and I have to be careful how I go about selecting a style to suit my shape.  It's important for everyone.  I have owned Dora Ohrenstein's Top Down Crochet Sweater book for a few months now and I love how it shows you the drape of a garment on both slim and fuller shaped models.  You would be amazed at the difference the same garment can look on different shaped people and I would wholly recommend that you check it out - it's a real eye opener. Don't rush in, take time and research these things, busts, bottoms and bone structure should all play a part in choosing a style to suit you.

Crochet garment designers

Obviously this is not going to be an exhaustive list of designers, as there are so many talented guys and gals out there who produce wonderful garments, but I have tried to select something for everyone - for every shape and size.  All of the designers listed below have either caught my eye, or I have made garments that they have designed.  If you want to know more, please click on each of the designers for their websites/pattern pages:

I hope that I have helped you on your path to crochet garment selection and given you a bit of food for thought.  Please message me if you have a question and I will try my best to answer it, or ask one of the Blog Hop contributors to help out.  I will be back next month with a special blog on how I am getting on with my chosen garment - Ava by Dora Ohrenstein.

See you then x



Stripy Jumper by Sara Huntington
Angel Sweater by Jenny King
Lacy Top by Simone Francis
Callendar Cardigan - The Crochet Project
Bobble Jumper by Sara Huntington

Chloe Cardigan by Dora Ohrenstein

Amber Summer Top by Drops Design

Comments

  1. Fabulous post! Thank you so much for taking part in the blog hop xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all the garments you've made - they look fabulous 😍 And that's a very good point about starting simple. If you can do a couple of basic stitches, there's a sweater pattern out there that's doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam. I couldn't agree more - something for everyone that is doable (patience is all it needs)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful blog post Jo. You are absolutely right about looking at the garment and figuring out if it will suit your body shape first! I've made this mistake before! The sweaters you've made are superb and I love the fact that you arranged them from basic to more involved. You've got me even more excited about getting started.... will I be able to hold off another two weeks....?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Jo! I love seeing all the sweaters you've made and your journey and what you've learnt along the way. I'm with you on knowing what styles work for your own body and choosing accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo - I've enjoyed writing the blog and I am looking forward to reading all of the others so that I can learn more and improve my technique x

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your post. You nailed when you said We've all had failures. - sooo true! But I'm not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! If we did that, then we wouldn't have anything pretty to wear.

      Delete
  6. I love all of your sweaters. Your Chloe is gorgeous. I'm a big fan of Dora's designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Her designs are gorgeous and I think that the Ava sweater looks so luxurious in that yarn that I just have to make it. Are you joining in with the CAL?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#backtoschoolsweatercal Progress Update

It's my turn again on the #backtoschoolsweatercal blog hop and this time I am following on from Sam , from Sam Simple Melody, to record my progress so far. I am happy to say that I have finished my Ava sweater from the Dora Ohrenstein's Top Down Sweater Book and I have had plenty of wear out of it already.  The fit is flattering and I am so glad that I took the time to read all of the hints and tips and obtain my true measurements so that I have a truly wearable garment. Pattern and Yarn Choice I used the recommended yarn - Berroco Folio in Bayberry and I crocheted a tension square to make sure that I was on gauge. For projects of this magnitude, I prefer to use the suggested yarn (if my purse allows) so that I can obtain the same results.  I chose to make a Large based on my bust and hip measurements and it was spot on. Getting Started and progress The yoke was the first section of the sweater to be crocheted and I found the pattern straightforward and easy to read.

Sock Blog Hop #5 - Toe up or Cuff down socks?

Welcome to the 5th instalment for the Sock CAL 2018 Blog Hop.  If you have been following from the beginning, I should imagine that you are well on your way to choosing your sock design, yarn and have a pretty good understanding of the construction of a sock. Then comes the next question - Toe Up or Cuff Down?  Does it really matter?  Surely they all come out the same.  You are right, they do look the same and there is no discernible difference.  I have crocheted a fair number of socks over the last few years and I must admit that I have a preference - Cuff down.  To put it simply, I don't like adding a ribbed cuff at the end of the sock. I admit that I am just not very good at crocheting the ribbed cuff at the end of the pattern. I get confused and when I start to work on it I don't like how mine looks.   I prefer to work the cuff first and then work from the ankle down (I like the cuffs nice and neat).   I like to try on the sock as I go and know that I can adjust the num